Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Response: Trends Assignment

When I did my interview with Inside Columbia for the trends assignment, I gained some insights into the city magazine industry. One of the most telling moments was when I asked Carolyn Preul, creative director of Inside Columbia, if she spends a lot of her off-hours brainstorming for work. She quickly replied that she absolutely does spend a lot of her free time working and thinking of solutions to problems, design and otherwise.

It's a fair assumption that most people in the magazine industry – city magazines, nonprofit magazines, hyperlocal magazines, and national consumer magazines – all devote a good chunk of free time to work-related stuff. At my last internship, I worked at a nonprofit, where it wasn't uncommon to see one person completing tasks that were completed by several employees in easier times. I guess the takeaway here is to work at a publication that you really love and enjoy because it's likely you'll need to devote more than just the day hours to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment