Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Critique: Spring Preview Designs

Today we discussed our Spring Preview designs, which I found really helpful. One important thing I try to keep in mind while designing is that it isn't about your intentions for the design but how people receive it. Class feedback today helped me realize that my cover and feature lacked unity, which wouldn't fly in a real work environment. Also, if you're going to use an idea, you should really commit to it. Going all out is better than hinting at a concept. It feels more thought-out and fully-hatched (forgive the egg/thought comparison).

 Here is my cover. I designed the illustration on Illustrator. I love layering, and I know I'll try to find a way to incorporate it into future designs.
First page of spread. "Picnic" was supposed to be the theme. Erica suggested the addition of ants across the spread or half-eaten food. I think those would be really cute additions. I would definitely read a publication that had ants marching across a page.
Here is the second page of the spread. It's kind of plain, but I like how it came out.

Critiques like today really help me in my process and in playing out my ideas to their best potential. I'm sure we will have multiple critiques for some projects, and those will probably come out the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment