Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Response: Jack or Jack Knife?

Jack
Jack Knife.
Jacknife
Jack Knife

The possibilities seem endless. After showing the publishers our work on Monday, there was a little disagreement about the name of the proposed publication. The publishers thought the name "Jack" would get confused with a ladmag. The designers (overall) thought "Jack Knife" alluded to an outdoorsy meaning that we were not trying to go for.

So I did a little more research than I had before on the title.

1) Here is one Jack Magazine, a defunct literary journal that put out its last issue in 2010.

2) Here is another Jack Magazine. This one is a bilingual culture magazine based in Colombia.

3) The lad mag that the publishing group referred to has been out of print since 2004, according to its wikipedia entry.

4) There is also an Italian tech magazine called Jack.

I understand the desire to find a name that is original, but a lot of these past Jacks are out of print or foreign-based. I really like the simplicity and association with the name Jack, so it still has my vote.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Felicia, thanks for this post. I really love the name Jack as well, but it seems like the publishers were really pushing for Jack Knife. Now I think that when we come to them as a group with our decision to go with just Jack, we can really convince them and bring it home. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the research. I actually like Jack Knife as a name for the magazine, but I also like Jack. And I don't think there could really be that much confusion about the name.

    Also, you did a really great job of providing links! It's a small thing? But it does make the post more interactive.

    ReplyDelete