Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Inpiration: Esquire typography cover

Here is Esquire's most recent cover about the man who killed Osama Bin Laden. Apparently, the feature article is 15, 000 words, so it's definitely a "lean back" piece. It's an account of the SEAL team, and a look at what comes next. I wanted to draw attention to the typeface and head-on quality of the cover. When I saw this cover at the bookstore, I stopped to get a closer look. You can't use this kind of in-you-face approach on every cover, but when you do, it gets a second look from viewers.

1 comment:

  1. Felicia,

    I would agree that you can't use this approach on every cover, especially since I didn't even notice Esquire until I finished reading the title. However, I really think how they designed this because there are no other teasers and this headline probably sold them a lot of magazines. So, I guess it's not always the name and actual magazine that's going to draw us in because after reading this headline, I want to go read this "lean back" feature story.

    Abby A.

    ReplyDelete